Tuesday, 20 August 2013

New Assignment: Logical Fallacies Argument

For our next assignment we are to choose a topic in relation to a sociopolitical issue and make an argument either for or against it with 10 links of research.
At this very moment I am trying to decide on a topic and am currently looking through the listverse website (www.listverse.com) for inspiration. This particular website publishes lists that aspiring writers or everyday people create on subjects that they are passionate about, (eg. Top 10 Reasons You'll Never Go Back In Time). Not only do I love reading interesting topics and opinions, but these also generally inspire me to look into my own opinion in regards to the specific list.

Currently I am looking into possible subjects in relation to:
* Today's Orwellian Technologies
* Religious/Cultural acts vs. Government/safety (eg. exorcisms vs mental health help, sacrifices vs human security, cultural practices vs. safety)

I remember being read an autobiography by a primary school teacher called Falling Leaves, written by Adeline Yen Mah. It tells the story of a young Chinese girl's turbulent childhood during China's civil war and her abusive environment. Throughout the story, she recounts being forced into having her feet traditionally bound in order to preserve a small and 'attractive' foot appearance. While this was seen as the 'norm' during those times in China, Mah has come across physical issues she has had growing up with the effects from having her feet bound.
This is just an example of religious/cultural versus health and safety.

Another example is the famed exorcism of deeply religious Anneliese Michel, which inspired multiple Hollywood films such as The Exorcism of Emily Rose, who started to show detrimental signs of schizophrenia and rather than her parents getting their daughter medical/psychiatric help, they insisted on having her exorcised multiple times. Due to their beliefs and possible ignorance, Anneliese Michel eventually succumbed to her illness and died.

After talking to James, he told me that I may be somewhat limited with how much detail I can go in to or how far I choose to go while writing my final blog and I have realized that this can be considered somewhat of a blessing in disguise as I tend to go over set word-limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment